Let’s face it – roofs are not cheap! But they are critical to the well-being of your family and the investment into your home over the long haul. In fact, we’re talking decades! For these reasons, you shouldn’t just choose any roofing company to repair or replace your roof. You want a true professional, a truly LOCAL company who’s been around long enough to have established a stellar reputation in your community. You will find a number of roofing contractors who will want your business. In times of extreme weather (such as a hail storm) many companies will send in teams from far out of state to “clean up” and too often, local homeowners are left holding the bag, so to speak. Since they will all say they’re the best. The question is – how do you filter all the choices and choose the contractor who will do the best job for you? We’d like to offer some tips on choosing the best roofing contractor for your home:
• Ask for Referrals. Nike says, “Just Do It!” We say, “Just ASK!” Statistics
show that people pay more attention to a personal recommendation than any other kind of advertising. So, ask your neighbors and friends. Additionally, search on Google and the other major search engines for reviews of roofing contractors in your area, and you could actually call up local builders or building supply companies to ask who they recommend.
• Licensing, bonding, and registration. State, County, and Local ordinances determine what kind of registration licensing and bonding a roofing contractor needs to have.
• Insurance. Don’t be shy about asking for proof of insurance. A top level contractor of choice will have both workman’s comp and liability coverage, and should be willing and able to produce current certificates when you ask.
• Experience. Any company can SAY they have the experience, but you need to know for sure. Hire a roofing company that has verifiable experience completing projects that are similar to what you need. To determine the experience a roofing contractor has, get a list of completed projects, and then do your due diligence and make phone calls to validate their claims.
• Customer service. It won’t matter how nice or how good a contractor is, if you can’t get through to someone when you need to. Before you make a decision, make several calls to make sure they are handled with knowledge and courtesy, and that your inquiries are responded to quickly.
• References. Now, ask your list of potential roofers for references. Take the time to call each reference and find out, just how good each contractor is when it comes to quality of work, being on time, cleaning up after themselves and post-job customer service.
There are many considerations when it comes to hiring a roofing company to repair your roof or install a new one. A seasoned roofer with experience and expertise can help you with every decision. Put the care of your home into the hands of a company you can trust.