Here are some tips from roofing contractors in Gainsville GA to look for and fix damage to your roofing system after a storm.
We have all seen the effects of storms all across the country on the news and wind can cause substantial damage, even if a local storm didn’t produce a down pouring of hail or an onslaught of tropical storm rain, to warrant a thorough inspection to determine if the replacement or of your roof is warranted. So after a severe thunderstorm, hailstorm, hurricane or tornado, make sure to inspect the condition of your roofing system.
Wait until the storm passes and then check your home’s roof for damage from hail, wind or lightning. Take a notepad with you and write down any issues that you will need to report to your insurance agent and your local roofing contractor that you will contact to make the necessary repairs.
How to identify roof damage
Hurricanes like Matthew, fall thunderstorms, hailstorms, and tornadoes can tear shingles from your roof and give your roofing system a pounding from tree branches. Follow these actions to check for storm damage to your roof:
– Examine your attic for leakages or water damage. Also, if any water discolorations appear on your ceiling or walls, you likely require repairs or a roof replacement.
– Search for indications of storm damage from the ground. Check for missing or damaged shingles, the metal fascia that is missing, this includes metal pieces displaced from around your chimney. Access the condition of places where your roof has an angle and meets the walls, areas around steeple windows and other dips in the roof.
– It will be obvious if a tree fell on your roofing system. If so, stay out of your home until a specialist can figure out whether any structural damage took place. Think about hiring a home builder/contractor or roofing professional with a contractor’s license if your home has suffered structural damage, as you’ll require more than roof repair work.
– If the storm produced hail, check for roof damage in addition to siding damage. Hail damage typically can be found in the forms of small dimples, made by chunks of hail that pound the external layer of shingles.
– Stay safe– avoid going on the roof to look for the damage yourself, instead get in touch with a professional roofing contractor. Division Kangaroof offers free roof inspections. Save yourself from harm and give us a call.
Call your insurance agent
Follow these suggestions for handling an insurance coverage company after any catastrophe.
- If you have damage, call your insurance agent to examine the circumstance and figure out whether you ought to file a claim. It is always best to document any damage that took place.
- Likewise, keep receipts for all work, including any you do yourself, such as covering windows or holes in your roof to assist in reimbursement if you file a claim. Numerous policies will cover these costs when sent with an insurance claim.
Find the best roofing contractor, materials
Find a roofing company that has both a strong insurance claims department and experienced service technicians, says Keith Miller, owner of Division Kangaroof in Gainesville GA. Your roof is a primary structure of your residence, don’t skimp when it comes to hiring the right roofing contractor and the right materials.
When repairing or replacing a roof, do your research and consider alternatives to conventional asphalt shingles to avoid future storm damage. Metal roofs or composition shingles withstand damage better than conventional shingles. They cost more than the asphalt ranges, but insurers may offer discounts on the price of your premium.
Be sure to call Division Kangaroof at 678-582-2899 if you suspect you have roof damage. Schedule a time for a roof inspection and a quote for needed roof repairs or roof replacement.