Among all the home maintenance that you can carry out on your own, roofing stands as one of those that may put your safety at risk. Knowing the correct safety measures and spending enough time to follow them properly will guarantee your safety as you are performing the roof repair Gainesville GA. In case you are having doubts about doing the work yourself, do not hesitate to get in touch with a professional roofing contractor to assist you.
1. Gather all essential tools before you begin.
2. Think about taking a furniture pad or maybe a cushion material that will protect your knees while you are fixing the roof.
3. Safety gloves and glasses are important. Be sure to put them on to avoid getting your eyes and hands injured due to sharp materials and flying debris.
4. Use a safety harness with a rope attached. It’s better to err on the side of caution.
5. Be sure to put on slip-resistant shoes.
6. Think of getting a toolbelt or stock up all your needed tools in one bucket.
7. Under no circumstances should you work on a roof that is wet. Keep this in mind especially if you are planning to repair a roof with wood shingles, which could be quite slippery.
8. Make sure your ladder is positioned properly. If you will use an extension ladder, you need to place the bottom of the ladder on about a quarter of the distance between the roof’s edge and the ground. The top part of the ladder must be a few feet above the roof’s edge. In case you will use a roof ladder, make sure to hook it over the roof’s edge and you need a rope to fasten the ladder’s top part to a sturdy anchor point like a deck railing or tree on the other side of your home.